What is the TIE (Spanish foreigner ID card) in Spain?

Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero, or TIE, is the abbreviation for Spanish foreigner ID card. It is a document that proves a foreigner is legally resident in Spain. As a result, you should keep it with you at all times in case you are required to verify your legal status in the country.

The card contains personal information, a photograph, and the holder’s NIE (Spanish foreigner ID number). Along with that, it describes the cardholder’s type of residence permission in Spain.

How to Get a TIE in Spain?

After making an appointment, you can apply for TIE in Spain at the nearest police station or immigration office with all the necessary documentation. For appointment requests, you can use Spain’s electronic government office system. Within a month, your card will be sent to you.

You need to obtain it within a month of arriving in Spain. After entering the county, we advise you to finish the application as soon as possible because setting up an appointment could take some time.

It is a must if you plan to stay in Spain for more than six months uninterrupted. Additionally, you must reapply for the card if you already have it and you need to make a legal or business change that requires renewing your residence permit or if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged.

As part of our services, Tekce Visa offers this service to you without charge. Our professionals facilitate the procedure and assist you in gathering the necessary papers. Call us for more info about TIE requirements in Spain.

Documents Needed for TIE in Spain

The necessary paperwork generally includes;

• Original and photocopy of a travel document or a passport.
• EX-17 application form. The form must be submitted completed and signed, with a copy.
• 3 passport photos with white background.
• Card fee payment receipt.
• Social Security registration document.
• Stolen, lost, or damaged card reports for existing cardholders.

Renewing your TIE

You must provide the following if your TIE is about to expire:

• Original and photocopy of your passport or travel document.
• 3 passport photos with white background.
• Official authorization for the card renewal.
• Confirmation of payment of the card fee.
• Social Security accreditation.

Difference between NIE and TIE in Spain

The main difference between the NIE (foreigner ID number) and the TIE (foreigner ID card) is that the TIE serves as proof that a foreign national is legally living in Spain, whereas the NIE just serves as an identification number for administrative purposes.

The other differences:

• The TIE must be obtained after the residence permit has been approved, whereas the NIE is immediately given to a foreigner when they begin the registration process.
• The TIE expires, but the NIE does not.
• The TIE is a physical object, but the NIE is not.
• Your TIE will be terminated but your NIE will remain in effect if you are convicted of a crime or lose your right to live in Spain.

Frequently Asked Questions about TIE Card in Spain

Q: Do I need a TIE card in Spain?
A: Yes. If you are a non-EU citizen and plan to stay in Spain for over six months, you must have a TIE card.

Q: Can I work in Spain with a TIE card?
A: TIE gives a legal residence permit, but it does not provide a work permit. On the other hand, an employment agreement can be used to obtain the card, and students with TIE cards are permitted to work up to four hours per day.

Q: Is TIE the same as Residencia?
A: The TIE card takes the place of a residence permit for non-EU citizens who plan to stay in Spain for more than six months.

Q: How long can I stay in Spain with a TIE?
A: On your card, you can see how long your TIE card is valid. It will be valid for the same amount of time as your residency permit.

Q: How do I pick up my tie card in Spain?
A: Within one month of submitting your application, you can obtain your TIE card from the closest police station or immigration office.

Q: How much is TIE in Spain?
A: The TIE card fee is about 10 to 20 €.

Q: Can I renew my TIE card?
A: Yes. You can renew your TIE card as long as your residence permit is still in effect.

Q: I lost my TIE card, what should I do?
A: You should apply for a new card at the police station or immigration office, as soon as possible.

Q: The information stated on my TIE card changed. What should I do?
A: Within a month of the information change, you must notify the police station or the immigration office. It can be a family, residence address, or work situation change.

Q: Should I carry my TIE card always with me?
A: Yes, because as a foreigner, a TIE card serves the same purpose as your national card in your home country.

Q: What are the advantages of a TIE card in Spain?
A: TIE card Spain benefits include opening a bank account, the right to use social services, and traveling to other EU countries.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. By using this website you agree to our Cookies Policy.
Cookies Policy